Frequently Asked Questions

Listed below are questions that are frequently asked by citizens when contacting City Hall.  Click on the question and it will jump to the answer.  If the information you need is not listed below, please contact our office at (573) 471-2512.


Q:  I need my street repaired.  Who do I contact?
You may contact the City's Street Department at 573-475-3731. 
top of page

Q:  When are Council meetings held?
Regular Council meetings are tentatively scheduled for the first Monday of each month at 5:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers at City Hall.  Special Council meetings are generally held the last Monday of each month at 7:15 a.m. in the C.D. Matthews Room at City Hall.  top of page

Q:  How can I register to vote?
If you live in Sikeston city limits (New Madrid or Scott County), you can register to vote at City Hall, 105 E. Center St.  Scott County residents may also register at the Scott County Courthouse, 131 S. Winchester, in Benton, MO and New Madrid County residents can register at the New Madrid County Courthouse, 450 S. Main, in New Madrid, MO.  You must have some form of identification with you.  To find out where you vote, click
heretop of page

Q:  Where do I vote?
Click this link to be taken to the "Vote Missouri" web site where you can enter your address and find out how you are registered and where you should go to vote.  top of page 

Q:  How can I contact the Scott County Courthouse?
The Scott County Courthouse is located at 131 S. Winchester in Benton, MO.  Their phone number is 573-471-9447 or 573-545-3536.  Office hours are as follows:
     County Offices:  8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
     State Offices:     8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  top of page

Q:  How can I get a copy of birth/death certificates?
here to download the Application for Copy of Birth or Death Certfications.  You can get more information about obtaining a certified copy of birth and death certificates by contacting the Scott County Health Department at 573-471-4044 or stopping by their office at 102 Grove Estates Court, Sikeston, MO.  top of page

Q:  How can I contact the Humane Society?
The Humane Society is located at 1900 Compress Road, Sikeston, MO. They can be contacted at 573-471-4801.  Their office hours are: 
     Tuesday, Wednesday, & Friday:  10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.; 2:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m.
     Thursday:  2:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m.
     Saturday:  10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. 
     Closed Sunday and Monday   top of page

Q:  What is the number to the license bureau?
The telephone number to the Sikeston License Bureau, located at 1515 E. Malone, is 573-471-3160.  top of page

Q:  Is there a local phone number for Charter Communication?
No, Charter Communications does not have a local phone number.  The City of Sikeston's phone number is listed on their statement for tax purposes.  You may contact Charter Communications at 888-871-4485.  top of page

Q:  When is my trash picked up?
here to view city map to determine your trash pickup dates.  top of page

Q:  How do I rent the Clinton Community Building?
Contact Jiggs Moore, Parks Director, at 573-475-3725.  Or
click here  for Clinton Building information. top of page

Q:  How can I get a job with the City?
All applications are through the Missouri Career Center, which is located at 202 S. Kingshighway.  Job openings are also posted on the City’s website.  To check for job openings, 
click here
 top of page

Q:  Why didn't I get a tax bill?
For more information, 
click here.  top of page

Q:  Do I need a license to have a yard sale?
No, but call City Hall to inform us of your yard sale.  Our number is 573-471-2512.  top of page

Q:  Do I need a business license?
here for more information.  top of page

Q:  What type of business license do I need?
here for more information.  top of page

Q:  Do I need a liquor license?  How do I get a liquor license?
here for more information.  top of page

Q:  I have Sikeston Board of Municipal Utilities bonds.  What should I do when the bonds are called?
The Trustee is the St. Louis office of The Bank of New York.  You can contact their office at 1-800-254-2826 for more instructions.  
top of page

Q:  I want to set up a stand just for a day or a few days-do I need a permit?
here for more information.  top of page

 Q:   I'm having an outdoor party.  Do I need a permit?
Yes.  You will need to  fill out an
Outside Event Permit.  This may be printed off or you can stop by City Hall to pick one up.  Once this form is filled it out, return it to City Hall for approval.  This process may take up to 3 days. top of page

Q:  How can I be notified of bidding opportunities.
Contact City Hall at 573-471-2512 if you would like to be put on a particular bid list.  top of page

Q:  Can I collect donations on the street (ex. Main & Malone)?
It is unlawful for any person to solicit from any other person upon public motor vehicle thoroughfares in the city.  (City Code 9.20.160)  top of page

Q:  I want to have a parade.  Do I need a permit?
Yes.  You can click
here to download the Parade Permit.  Contact Sikeston's Department of Public Safety at 573-471-6200 for more information.  top of page

Q:  Can I close my street for a special event?
Contact Sikeston's Department of Public Safety at 573-471-6200.  top of page

Q:  Is a special license neeed for a taxi cab?
Upon proper application for License, payment of such fee as may be prescribed by the City Council, the filing with the City Clerk of an acceptable liability insurance policy or bond, the City Clerk shall issue to the applicant a license to engage in the taxicab business. (City Code 10.16.040)  top of page

Q:   How do I change traffic control devices?  (put up a stop sign, change a street to one way, etc.)
All recommendations for changes to traffic control devises are reviewed by the Traffic Committee.  For more infomation on this subject, contact Steve Lee, Street Superintendent, at 573-475-3731. top of page