The Sikeston Department of Public Safety supports community involvement in the law enforcement process. The purpose of the Ride-along Program is to encourage community involvement in law enforcement and to educate the public by opening up the lines of communication within the community. The Ride-Along Program promotes a better understanding of the challenges, risks and rewards of the police and fire officer's role in the community.
- Members of concerned adult groups
- College or university law enforcement/fire students engaged in research or fulfilling project or program requirements
- Police officers and fire fighters from other jurisdictions
- Visiting dignitaries or officials
- Other members of the criminal justice system
- Any other person over the age of 18 approved by the ranking shift/watch supervisor
Rules and Guidelines:
- Anyone who wishes to ride shall call the Sikeston Public Safety Department at 573-471-6200 to obtain a Ride-Along Request/Release form. The fillable form can also be downloaded by clicking this link: Ride-Along Request and Release Form. Arrangements must be made at least (3) days in advance of the desired ride-along date.
- Prior to the ride-along, participants must complete and sign the Waiver/Release of Liability form and agree to a criminal history background check.
- Participants shall be neatly dressed and groomed. Jeans of any color, T-shirts, collarless shirts, sweatshirts, sweat pants and slippers will not be permitted.
- Participants will be under the supervision of a police officer at all times.
- Participants must be in good general health with no need for assistance.
- Female participants cannot ride if they are pregnant or suspect they may be pregnant.
- Participants shall not leave the police vehicle at the scene of any police activity without first obtaining the permission of the supervising officer.
- Participants shall not converse with any prisoners, suspects or witnesses, nor shall they participate in any police activity unless directed to do so by the officer and that request can be accomplished in a safe manner.
- Tape recorders, cameras and video equipment will not be permitted while participating in the program with the exception of accredited media representatives who have made the necessary arrangements through the Director of Public Safety and/or Command Staff.
- All participants in the Ride-Along Program must read, agree, and abide by all rules and guidelines and complete the Ride-along application and the “Covenant Not to Sue”.
- Participants must have a valid photo ID or drivers license with them when reporting for their scheduled ride-along.
- Participants shall be considered an observer only, and shall be under the direct supervision of the assigned officer during the ride-along.
- Participants shall conduct themselves in a civil and courteous manner at all times.
- Participants must wear their seat belts at all times while in the patrol car.
- Participants must remain in the patrol car unless instructed to leave by an officer.
- In the case of a potentially dangerous or hazardous call, participants may be dropped off at a safe location. If this occurs, the officer will give the participant specific instructions and arrange to have them picked up by another officer. Please note that this is for the rider’s safety.
- Participants must not become involved in any incident the officer is handling. This includes discussions of an incident with victims, witnesses, or suspects.
- For security and safety reasons, participants are not allowed to handle or use any of the officer’s equipment or the equipment in the patrol vehicle.
- No family member will be allowed to ride with employees of that family member.
Failure to comply with any of the above listed rules and guidelines will result in the immediate termination of the ride-along.